Kate's Bellybutton Lint Collection

I used to think blogs were self-indulgent navel gazing, but now I'm not so sure. From a practical standpoint, they're great for keeping up with friends, especially when you're awful about keeping in touch (like me). I know most people could probably care less what I think or do in a given week. For everyone else, this blog's for you! Enjoy my collection of hand-picked navel lint!

September 17, 2005

Brews on the Bay

This past weekend we decided to hang out on a big ship and drink grog! It was the second annual "Brews on the Bay" fest hosted by the San Francisco Brewers guild. Beers from several city breweries were served aboard a historic WWII vessel, the S.S. Jeremiah O'Brian. I sampled plenty of tasty beers--Beach Chalet's Riptide Red was quite snappy, and Bear Republic served up a Vanilla ale I could not resist! Hmmm, vanilla flavors are much better in wine than in beer, I think, but glad I gave it a try. The Watermelon Ale from 21st Amendment made an appearance, and though it may sound repulsive, this is a mighty refreshing and popular beer!

After getting thoroughly soused you could take a tour of the ship's engine room. Even though the boat stayed anchored, the propellers were turning and the furnaces were stoked down below. No fat sailors aboard this vessel! The walkways that meandered through the engine room were extremely narrow. Also, huge ponderous cranks and pistons within arms reach made me think yikes, no loose clothing or you're hamburger meat! Interestingly, the ship is powered by a triple-chambered steam engine just like the Titanic--in fact, the O'Brian's engine room was filmed for that (in)famous movie.




Alky-traz! I think the island looks shaped like a ship from out here.





Our mateys, left to right: Mitch (Scott's brother), Derek, Tom (Scott's Dad), Sabrina





"We're under ATTACK!!!" Scott and I love regressing to the age of 3.





*Hic!* Whazzaaaaah...





I'll blow this place outta the water if I don't get more grog!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home